Friday, February 14, 2014

Homemade Valentines

Happy Valentine's Day!  I got over two feet of snow yesterday and last night and I am currently having my second snow day in a row!  My nails came out a little less neat than I expected, but the effect totally reminded me of paper Valentine hearts made by kids!




Before I painted anything on my nails, I took ten squares of masking tape, pressed them on the back of my hand to take off some of the stickiness, folded them in half, cut out a half heart shape, and then unfolded them.  This created a heart shaped hole in the centers that I used as my heart stencils.  This was a lot harder to do than I expected.  Later I realized that it may have been easier if I had folded the tape with the sticky side out.  Haha!  Oh well.  Here is roughly what each piece of tape looked like:


For my manicure, I started out with one coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty, which I was happy with for my last manicure.  (That manicure lasted for five days without chips!!)  Then I painted on two coats of Sally Hansen Coral Reef as my base color.  After that was all dry, I applied a coat of Sally Hansen Dries Instantly so the tape wouldn't pull up my base color.  When that was dry, I applied the heart stencils.  I painted over them with Confetti Cherries Jubilee on my pinky and middle fingers and thumbs.  On my ring and pointer fingers, I painted the heart with Nicole Glitter in my Stocking.  The glitter hearts worked well, but the thinner polish leaked under the tape, even when I thought it was pressed down nicely.  I cleaned up the edges of the reddish hearts by lightly sweeping them with a nail art brush in acetone.  Doing this works because the acetone cannot take off all the other layers of polish underneath because you are not sweeping with force and going over the spots repeatedly.  I actually sort of like the rougher effect since it looks like homemade Valentine's Day cards!  I finished off the manicure with two coats of Dries Instantly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment