Thursday, June 11, 2015

Negative Space Stripes Re-Creation


Before anything else, I want to tell you that this manicure is inspired by a picture I saw online.  This is not original.  I saw a picture by So Nailicious and loved how her mani looked!  Check her out at sonailicious.com!  Here is the link so you can go right to her tutorial on how she achieved the look:
http://sonailicious.com/negative-space-nautical-nails-tutorial/

Okay!  On to my version of it!

negative space manicure

I started out with a coat of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat.  I then applied a coat of Sally Hansen Dries Instantly because I planned on sticking striping tape on next.  I didn't want the tape to lift up my base coat, and you cannot use Sally Hansen Dries Instantly as a base coat.  The formula does not stay put on your nails.  I learned from experience when I used it as a base coat and then my entire manicure peeled off in only a day.

negative space manicure

I applied striping tape where I wanted my natural nails to be visible.  I then dripped small puddles of nail polish onto a piece of scrap paper and took small nail art brushes to fill in the stripes between pieces of tape.  I worked as fast as I could so the polish wouldn't dry too much before I removed the tape.  I used the brush from the bottle of polish to paint on the tips.  It was easier that way.

negative space manicure

The colors I used are as follows:

Peach:  Essie Haute as Hello
Gray:  Sinful Colors Cool Gray
Teal:  L'Oreal Now You Sea Me

After finishing a nail, I removed the tape as soon as possible.  I finished everything off with two coats of Dries Instantly.  I got bored of doing this, so I painted my right hand with solid colors (the same I used for the stripes.)  I actually like how it looks to have both my hands a bit different, but still color coordinated!  Oh!  One last thing:  If you get any polish where it is not supposed to be, just use a small brush and acetone to neaten it up.  I had to do a lot of neatening up before taking these pictures!

Follow me on Instagram at popstermargie

No comments:

Post a Comment