Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gradient Zigzags

Color combinations can really make a manicure.  Even if your nails are painted just a couple basic colors, it can look SUPER cool if the colors go well together.  I am not too great at finding interesting color combinations, but this manicure's colors made me really happy.

gradient nails with zigzags

I started out with a base coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty.  I then painted on two coats of Sally Hansen Jazzy Jade (the teal color.)  After that, I painted a coat of Sally Hansen Dries Instantly over everything to get them ready for tape and sponging.  I took a makeup sponge and applied Sally Hansen Jazzy Jade and Sally Hansen Kinetic Copper (which is a magnetic polish that is also super pretty without the magnetic effect) and painted them onto the sponge so they overlapped in the middle.  

zigzag gradient nails

I then rolled the sponge over all of my nails, except for my ring fingers and thumbs.  For those nails, I took some zigzag tape (which I got from Amazon) and applied three strips across each nail.  I stuck the tape on the back of my hand before applying it to my nails so that it would be gentler on the polish.  I always try to minimize the chance of tape removing my base color.  That is THE WORST!  I then used the same sponge and rolled it over these nails until I got my desired gradient.  I removed the tape after doing each nail.  I always reapply a good amount of polish to the sponge in between each nail.

gradient zigzag nails

I decided to stick a holographic, mirrored star sticker on my ring finger.  The points were sharp, so I trimmed them a teeny bit with small scissors.  I then applied two coats of Dries Instantly over everything.  Gradients dry super fast, so you don't really need to wait to apply your top coat.  I applied three coats of top coat on my ring finger to make the star not stick out as much.

Follow me on Snapchat!

No comments:

Post a Comment