Sunday, January 12, 2014

Glitter French Tips

I meant to do this design around Christmas, but never got around to it, so I decided to do it the other day.  I hadn't done french tips in so long!


I started out with two coats of Sally Hansen Innocent Nude.  Then I put on a coat of Sally Hansen Dries Instantly because I used tape to create clean tips.  (The fast drying top coat keeps your base color from lifting up with the tape).

I cut slightly curved pieces of masking tape for my tip guides.  You can buy stickers made for creating french tips, but I don't have any.  You can substitute them by cutting straight strips of tape, or slightly curved strips.  You can also freehand the french tip, but that can be tricky on short nails, like mine.  Here is what the tape I used looked like before I put it on:


It is good to stick tape like this to the back of your hand first to take off a teeny bit of the stickiness.  I applied the tape a little from the tips of my nails and then painted the tips sticking out farther than the tape with Nicole Glitter in My Stocking.  I then quickly removed the tape.  My top coat is old, so it didn't dry as fast as I intended and the tape left imprints in it when I took it off, but my final top coats (two coats of Dries Instantly) totally hid that.  On a few of my nails I accidentally got a little bit of polish under the tape, so the edge was not straight.  I covered this up by adding a stripe of silver to all of my nails, just above the gold.  I used a Salon Perfect striper in Silver Plated.  There are always ways to hide your mistakes!  I never have much patience for removing the polish on an entire nail and starting over.  Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment