Saturday, September 14, 2013

Silver and Gold

I love incorporating tape into my manicures.  You can do super cool things with such a common item.  Today I used masking tape instead of scotch tape for my first time:



This manicure is based on a manicure that Bubzbeauty did one time.  The first picture was taken under fluorescent lighting and the second was under sunlight.  The silver is Sally Hansen Pumping Iron, the gold is Sally Hansen Golden-I, and the copper dots are Essie Penny Talk.  I used Sally Hansen Dries Instantly as my top coat.

I actually liked using masking tape better than scotch tape.  Masking tape is more flexible and can stick close to your cuticles, avoiding paint going under the tape and you having to clean up with polish remover to create a sharp line.  Scotch tape is just not flexible enough.  I will probably use masking tape from now on.

So, I cut squares of tape and applied a corner to the base of my nail.  my silver polish wasn't opaque enough with just one coat, so I waited around 30 seconds and applied a second coat before immediately removing the tape.  That worked really well and the lines still came out sharp.  I applied another layer of the gold after removing the tape.  One coat looked pretty good, though.  I used a toothpick to make the copper dots around the edges of the silver and gold polish at my cuticle.

Here's just a quick fact about my chevron manicure:  I applied at least 2 coats of topcoat to all my nails.  Some had 3 coats.  The day after I did the manicure, though, edges of the tape were sticking out and were very scratchy.  I had to take it off on the third day that I wore it.  It was a lot of fun to do and very cute, but mine didn't last long.  It was easy to remove, though.  The tape pretty much dissolved when I used nail polish remover.

No comments:

Post a Comment